Dexter & Northern Railroad Company

The railroad of the Dexter and Northern Railroad Company, was a single-track standard-gauge steam railroad, located in New York. The main line extends easterly from Dexter to Dexter Junction, a distance of 0.462 mile. The carrier also owns 0.419 mile of yard tracks and sidings. Its road thus embraces 0.881 mile of all tracks owned and used. In addition, the carrier has trackage rights over the railroad of the New York Central Railroad Company between Dexter and a point about 2 miles west of Brownville, N. Y.

dextertodaytownmapquest

CORPORATE HISTORY


The carrier was incorporated July 23, 1908, under the general laws of the State of New York. The date of its organization has not been ascertainable from the records reviewed.

 

DEVELOPMENT OF FIXED PHYSICAL PROPERTY


The owned mileage of the carrier, extending from Dexter to Dexter Junction, N. Y., a distance of 0.462 mile, was acquired by construction. The returns of the carrier to valuation order No. 20 show that its property was constructed during the period from 1908 to 1910 by or under the supervision of the Dexter Sulphite Pulp and Paper Company.

DexterNorthernStock

1956:

the Dexter & Northern Railroad line was purchased by the New York Central Railroad and reopened for service.

 

See Penney Vanderbilt’s blog for some maps, description of the Cape Vincent branch and when it was abandoned.

the Map below from the 1941 ETT shows the numerous railroads in the Watertown area, most of which are gone now.

Map1941ETT

SUE HEARST IN PAPER DEAL;

Dexter Company Owners Say He Contracted to Buy Mills. Special to The New York Times. (); April 23, 1921, , Section , Page 3, Column , words WATERTOWN, N.Y., April 22.–Dr. James E. Campbell and C.W. Campbell of this city, owners of the Dexter Sulphite, Pulp and Paper Company, have brought an action in the Supreme Court of Jefferson County against William Randolph Hearst to compel specific performance of a contract entered into by him May 1, 1920, for the purchase of the Dexter Mills.

 

Brownville


The Dexter Sulphite Pulp and Paper Co.
— The Ontario woolen-mills were built in 1838 at a cost of $150,000. In 1868 the mills were closed, and in 1887 were purchased by the Dexter Sulphite and Paper Co., and converted into a wood-pulp and paper-mill. The officers of the company are C. E. Campbell, president; E. F. Bermingham, secretary and treasurer; James A. Outterson, superintendent.

Sometimes referred to as sulphite paper, this often elegant and useful type of paper has a number of uses. Here is some basic information about the creation of sulfite paper, as well as how the finished product is used in several different ways.

Sulfite paper begins its life through the creation of what is known as sulfite pulp. The process for creating sulfite pulp is fairly easy. Wood pulp is treated with the use of peroxide or hypochlorite and ran through an operation that yields a thick paper product that has lost the natural hue of the wood pulp and began to take on a lighter shade. Repeated applications of the chemical compounds will result in an even lighter shade, until the end product has taken on a brilliant white appearance. From there, the sulfite paper can be further processed to any thickness that is desires, depending on how the end product is to be used.

Dexter & Northern Railway – s/n X559 at Dexter, New York on 7/27/1935 Built 1905 – gauge unknown – 40 tons – Class B 901d

The railway’s parent company was the Dexter Sulphite Pulp & Paper Co The company owned two Climaxes. This one and s/n 560. This locomotive’s s/n is unknown and carries the “unknown s/n” designation number noted.

See more about logging railroads

See more Short Lines

**********