Poughkeepsie & Eastern North from Poughkeepsie


The name P&E did not actually last very long. It started out in 1872 as the P&E Railroad but the name was changed shortly to PH&B. A few years later it became the NY&M and then in 1893 it was changed back to P&E Railway. This was all the same railroad with different names.

Most people called it the P&E even when the name was PH&B or NY&M.



These smiling faces are waiting for the train at Van Wagners a few miles east of Poughkeepsie.

From the Roger Liller collection



Early view of Pleasant Valley station.

From the Roger Liller collection



Pleasant Valley station with agent House on the platform.

From the Roger Liller collection



Pleasant Valley station in 1968.

In later years the building was used by a car dealer as a storage area for auto parts.
From the Roger Liller collection



Pleasant Valley station “rest rooms” in 1968.

The railroad had been gone for 30 years but the buildings were still in good condition.
From the Roger Liller collection



Pleasant Valley station up on blocks awaiting the move for restoration.

Photo by the late Austin McEntee



Restored Pleasant Valley station is now on the grounds of a grade school on West Road in Pleasant Valley.

B. L. Rudberg photo



Those of you who were along on the CNE spring tour in April may remember the Pleasant Valley station painted in blue. The paint was beginning to peel in spots and blue was not really the original railroad color. Above shows the Pleasant Valley station on 14 August 2006.

It now has a fresh coat of yellow and brown which is more like authentic railroad colors. The paint job is not completed yet. You can see that the rain gutter and some of the roof braces are still blue. The new colors are a big improvement over the faded and peeling blue.

The Pleasant Valley station is on the property of West Road School and is now taken care of by the Town of Pleasant Valley recreation department.

B. L. Rudberg photo



Some well dressed passengers waiting for the train at Salt Point.

From the Roger Liller collection



Salt Point station on a snowy day in February 1936.

From the Roger Liller collection
In the days before railroads farmers would drive herds of cattle to Poughkeepsie for shipment to New York City. The value of the cattle was by weight. At Salt Point they would give the cattle salt to make them drink more water and thus weigh more when they got to the boat in Poughkeepsie.



This P&E wreck was on 12 July 1904 at Salt Point.

The freight train was waiting on the siding when a trainman named Kellerhouse was operating the switch. He mistakenly threw the switch the wrong way at the last second and put the passenger train on the same siding. After the crash Kellerhouse could not be found. The passenger train conductor, named Marcy, was taken to Vassar Hospital with a fractured skull.
From the Roger Liller collection



P&E station at Salt Point

Ziegert collection

The siding at left was the scene of the head on collision in July 1904.



Here is a bit closer look at the 12 July 1904 P&E wreck at Salt Point.
From the Roger Liller collection



Clinton Corners station on the P&E.

From the collection of Roger Liller



Clinton Corners station.

From the Fran Donovan collection



P&E excursion train at Upton Lake.

Nimke Vol 1 page 66



Information on the back of this photo says that it is the P&E station at Willow Brook.
From the Roger Liller collection



Postcard view of the P&E Stanfordville station.



Postcard view of Stanfordville station about 1910.

From the Roger Liller collection



Stanfordville station about 1910.

From the Roger Liller collection



At McIntyre the rival P&C RR passed over the P&E on a skewed bridge.

Nimke Vol 1 page 123



Stissing Junction on 5 November 1932

From the Austin McEntee collection
Tracks to the left were the former ND&C to Millbrook, Hopewell Junction and Beacon. To the right was the former P&E to Salt Point, Pleasant Valley and Poughkeepsie.



Stissing Junction about the time of abandonment in the late 1930’s.

From the Roger Liller collection



Stissing Junction when the line was operated by the CNE.

From Bob’s Photos



Stissing Junction in 1968.

All that remains is the foundation of the water tank.
From the Roger Liller collection



Information on the back of this photo says it is the P&E near Pine Plains.

From the Roger Liller collection



Agent Joe Crilley at the P&E station in Pine Plains.

From the collection of Roger Liller



Former P&E station at Pine Plains.

This photo was labeled New Haven Station which would place it sometime between 1927 and 1938.
From the Roger Liller collection





P&E station in Pine Plains on 5 November 1932.

From the Roger Liller collection



P&E #6 at speed. Location unknown.

From the collection of Roger Liller



Borden’s Creamery at Lead Mines on the P&E

Nimke Vol 3 page 182
More about milk trains



When the CNE took over the line in 1907 this trestle was filled in using gravel from the wye near Boston Corners. The name Lead Mines was later changed to Ancramdale.

From the collection of Roger Liller



Ancramdale Station on the P&E formerly called Lead Mines.

From the collection of Roger Liller



Halsteads after abandonment.

From the collection of Roger Liller



P&E #4 at Boston Corners ready to leave for Poughkeepsie.

J. W. Swanberg collection


Go To World’s Greatest WebSite

>>> New York Subway

>>>>>>Hidden Subway Station

>>>>>>Second Avenue Subway

>>>Commuters, Car Culture and The Jenny Plan

>>>>>>Commuters Conspiracy

>>>Long Island Railroad

>>>Chicago, South Shore & South Bend Railroad

>>>POTUS –  Trains for the President

>>>Milk Trains

>>>The Fabled Rutland Milk

>>>The Muhammad Ali Hyperlink

More About Our Great WebSite

>>>Delaware to Old Saybrook (No Amtrak)

>>>>>>About Troop Trains

>>>Metro North Railroad

>>>A Collection of Short Stories about Railroads – Book One

>>>>>>Buffalo Creek Railroad

>>>>>>Last Steam On NY Central Lines East

>>>>>>Indianapolis Union Railway

>>>>>>Central Indiana Railway

>>>>>>NY Central’s Fall Brook Subdivision

>>>>>>Dayton Union Railway

>>>>>>Niagara River Bridge Company

>>>>>>Niagara Junction Railway

>>>A Collection of Short Stories about Railroads – Book Two

>>>>>>Troy & Greenbush Railroad

>>>>>>Amsterdam, Chuctanunda and Northern Railroad

>>>>>>Syracuse Junction Railroad

>>>>>>Little Falls & Dolgeville

>>>>>>Detroit Terminal Railroad

>>>>>>Detroit River Tunnel Company

>>>>>>Middletown & New Jersey

>>>>>>Lehigh & Hudson River Railway

>>>Lackawanna Railroad

>>>Circus Trains

>>>>>>Disposition Of Circus Trains

>>>Robert Moses – Against Mass Transit

>>>Troop Trains

>>>>>>Troop Train Movie

>>>>>>New York, Susquehanna & Western Railway

>>>Railroader Biographies

>>>>>>Railroader Biographies George H. Daniels

>>>>>>Railroad Biographies Plimmon H Dudley

>>>>>>Railroader Biographies Leonore F. Loree

>>>>>>Railroader Biographies Bert Daniels

>>>>>>Chauncey Depew

>>>>>>Railroader Biographies Lt Col. Hy Taylor

>>>>>>Railroad Biographies Jacob Bachtold

>>>>>>Railroader Biographies David Gunn

>>>>>>Railroader Biographies Robert Young

>>>>>>Railroader Biographies Charlie Gunn

>>>>>>Railroader Biographies Erastus Corning

>>>John W. Barriger: Rail Historian and Railfan

Contact and Blogs

Other Interesting WebSites

>>>Ontario & Western

>>>Connecticut To Philadelphia

>>>Central New York Railroad

>>>Chicago, Rail Capital

>>>The Ride To Choate

>>>Union Pacific Railroad-established by Abraham Lincoln to span the continent

>>>The Warwick Valley and Other Railroads West of the Hudson

>>>Short Line Railroads

>>>>>>Little Falls & Dolgeville

>>>>>>Gary Railway

>>>>>>The Owasco River Railway

>>>>>>Dexter and Northern Railroad Company

>>>Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

>>>Washington, the Nation`s Capital

>>>Florida Trains

>>>Royal Tour 1939

>>>The Monon Railroad

>>>Big 4 Bridge: Jeffersonville to Louisville

>>>Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad

>>>The Southern New York Railway

>>>Electric Railroads

>>>Lines West

>>>High Speed Rail

>>>Northeast Corridor

>>>New York State

Some Fascinating Web Pages

>>>>>>The PT Cruiser and other “Back To The Future” Cars

>>>>>>Social Media

>>>>>>Logistics  and EDI

>>>New York State Railroads, and NY Central Railroad

>>>Delaware & Hudson Railway

>>>Lehigh Valley Railroad

>>>Head End Equipment

>>>Boston & Maine Railroad

 >>>The Four Railroads of Utica

>>>>>>Gulf Curve, April 1940 New York Central Accident

>>>>>>New York Mills Branch On The West Shore

>>>Railroad Mergers

>>>Railroad Bridges and Tunnels

>>>My last ride on the JFK Express subway in April 1990

>>>Chicago Bypass

>>>Van Sweringen Brothers, Nickel Plate and Other Ohio Railroads

>>>New York City Transit Planning

>>>Tahawus: Railroad to a Mine

>>>Chicago Rail Fair

>>>Joint Winter Olympics for Montreal and Lake Placid

>>>Abandoned Railroads

>>>>>>Putnam Division Abandonments

>>>Amtrak’s Secret Business

>>>Alphabet Routes

>>>EMD Model 40

>>>Budd RDC Diesel Car

>>>Light Rail

>>>Benton Harbor – Once A Rail Center

>>>Snow and Railroads

Central New England Railway

>>>>>>The Central New England In Connecticut

>>>>>>New York and New England Railroad

>>>>>>1937 Fan Trip

>>>Central New England Railway In New York State

>>>The Railroads Of Pine Plains

>>>CNE in Hopewell Junction

>>>>>>Hopewell Junction Restoration

>>>The Maybrook Line Across Dutchess County

>>>The Great Bridge At Poughkeepsie

>>>Poughkeepsie Bridge After The Fire

>>>The Rhinebeck & Connecticut Railroad

>>>CNE Connecticut Connection

>>>Maybrook Yard

>>>>>>Maybrook Yard 1940’s (Maybrook Journal)

>>>Newburgh, Dutchess and Connecticut Railroad (ND&C)

>>>>>>CNE/NDC Dutchess Junction and Matteawan

>>>>>>CNE/NDC Glenham to Hopewell Junction

>>>>>>CNE/NDC Hopewell Junction to Millbrook

>>>>>>CNE/NDC Bangall and Pine Plains

>>>>>>CNE/ND&C between Pine Plains and Millerton

>>>Fishkill Landing

>>>>>>The First Phase Of The NYC Rebuilding At Fishkill Landing 

>>>>>>The Second Phase Of The NYC Rebuilding At Fishkill Landing

>>>>>>The Final Phase Of The NYC Rebuilding At Fishkill Landing

>>>Poughkeepsie & Eastern in the Poughkeepsie Area

>>>Poughkeepsie & Eastern North from Poughkeepsie

>>>One of the railroads that made up the CNE Railway was the Poughkeepsie & Connecticut


(old vehices, shelters, garbage trucks)


>>>Supply Chain Management

>>>>>>Supply Chain Synchronization

>>>>>>Financial EDI

>>>>>>Supply Chain Definitions and Planning

>>>>>>What Is EDI?

Vacation French Riviera



>>>>>>Nice and East

>>>>>>Nice and West

>>>>>>St. Tropez

New Haven Railroad

>>>George Alpert, Last New Haven President

>>>Essex Steam Train

>>>Newport and Rhode Island Railroads

>>>Railroads To Cape Cod

>>>Cedar Hill Railroad Yard In New Haven

>>>Housatonic Railroad

>>>Manufacturers Street Railway in New Haven

>>>Train Stations Of Connecticut

>>>Boston and New England Railroads

>>>New Haven RR Signal Stations

>>>Connecticut Railfan

>>>Connecticut Freight Railroads

>>>Shoreline Bridges Of The New Haven RR

>>>Old Railroads Of Connecticut

>>>The Trolley In Connecticut

>>>Shepaug Valley Railroad

>>>What if the Penn Central Merger Did Not Happen (New Haven)

New York Central Railroad

>>>NY Central Shops At Harmon

>>>More On The West Shore


>>>Troy & Schenectady Railroad

>>>Railroader Biographies

>>>Webb’s Wilderness Railroad

>>>Who Owns Grand Central and What Is Track 61

>>>Catskill Mountain Branch

>>>West Side Freight Line

>>>New York Central Railroad Stations

>>>Grand Central Terminal

>>>20th Century Limited

>>>Peoria & Eastern Railway

>>>Chicago River & Indiana Railroad

           The Indiana Harbor Belt

>>>NY Central Harlem Division

>>>Castleton, Selkirk and Hudson Valley

>>>Robert R. Young


>>>Original New York Central Railroad

>>>NY Central Hudson Division

>>>Putnam Division Of The NY Central

>>>Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg Railroad Company

>>>Dekalb Junction to Ogdensburgh

>>>New Jersey Junction Railroad

>>>What If No Penn Central (NY Central)?

>>>Boston & Albany Railroad

>>>New York Central Lines Magazine

>>>>>>NY Central Lines 1919-1925

>>>>>>NY Central Lines 1925-1931

>>>>>> Pacemaker Freight On The NY Central

>>>>>>NY Central Lines Engine 999

>>>>>>NY Central Lines Annual Meetings

>>>>>>NY Central Lines Joliet Cutoff

>>>>>>NY Central Lines Pullman Lettering

>>>>>>NY Central Lines RW&O Chronicals

>>>>>>Wrecker GCT 1

>>>>>>NY Central Lines 1921 Article

>>>>>>NY Central Lines Health & Pleasure

>>>>>>NY Central Lines Ken Knapp

>>>POTUS: Lincoln and Trains

>>>The New York Central Railroad in 1950

>>>Not So Long Ago

>>>More About The New York Central Railroad

>>>New York Central Song

>>>What We Can Do For You